Selamat Datang di Indonesia

OK, I've actually been in Indonesia for almost a year. But it's been so pandemic-y I haven't felt like I've had a lot to share-and what I DO have to share ends up on social media. Maybe a blog is overkill. But I like words. 

So here I am! Teaching internationally in Jakarta, Indonesia. I don't want to type an ALL ABOUT TEACHING INTERNATIONALLY IN INDONESIA post, but instead observations, snippets, funny moments, travel, and maybe (occasional) frustrations. Join me!

OBSERVATION #1: Dogs in Indonesia

Abby is in the full size picture. I promise.
Anyone who knows me, knows that Sweet Abby is my constant sidekick (except that one time when we were separated for over 6 months because she couldn't get out of the US). But, due to culture, religion, and just plain old lack of experience, Indonesians are generally wary of dogs. This can range from downright terrified to suspicious to curious to completely friendly. On top of that, the majority of dogs in Jakarta are miniature-sized so a golden retriever is relatively enormous. One lady told me that Abby is "like a lion."

That being understood I do my best to keep Abby on a very short controlled leash during walks and we do just fine. People aren't hostile but often cross the street when they see us coming. We get a lot of looks. 

HERE IS THE THING I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. 

People who are really legitimately scared of dogs also CALL MY DOG, making the "come here dog" noises with their lips and put their hands out to her. Recently a guy did this so I loosened up her leash and let her approach the guy. Then the guy started screaming and almost fell into a ditch/sewer leaning back from her. 

Sorry guy. 

Now I do not let Abby approach friendly people as much and they probably think I'm a super rude bule lady.🤷


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Week in Review (updated with pix & video)

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort