Patagonia Part 7: Perito Moreno Glacier

So if you find yourself in Calafate, the only thing to really do is see the nearby Perito Moreno Glacier. That is why people go there, prettymuch. There are tons of organized tours with all variety of activities, but I just bought a bus ticket and checked it out on my own.

It is an amazing, beautiful place. The glacier is moving forward at about 6 feet a day, and the coolest thing is watching and hearing big chunks "calve" off into the lake.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.




You can see from the water that the glacier recently calved here 

I kept waiting all day for this piece to break off, but it didn't!

For some reason I love signs warning of danger.

You can see in the lake where all the glacier pieces collect. Sometimes they completely block the water
flow from the lake on the left to the lake on the right, and it's quite a show when the "dam" busrts!




When people asked what I wanted to do for the summer break (a popular topic of conversation amongst us traveling teachers) I said, "I want to see lakes and mountains and glaciers and beautiful places." Check!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Week in Review (updated with pix & video)

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort