Summer Break Continued: PATAGONIA!

Despite what my blog indicates, my summer vacation did not actually end in Colombia. I've just been incredibly busy, apparently. But, better late than never right? After flying from Medellin to Bogota to Santiago to Punta Arenas, Chile, I was ready to start the next leg of my adventure. First things first, I begged the hotel desk guy, in terrible Spanish, at 5am, if I could POSSIBLY check into my room that early and he said yes. A hot bath! A big comfy bed! A heater! I was freezing. Punta Arenas is really, really far south. I swear the wind was blowing straight up from Antarctica!
View from my hotel room. The water is the Magellan Strait, which connects the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.

"Downtown" Punta Arenas-this is where many of the cruise ships arrive. 
 There's not a ton to do there, but I did find a cafe that served hot coffee and food, a hostel that would do my laundry, and a grocery store to stock my hotel room fridge. Such luxuries after many nights in hostels! Later in the day, I went back to the airport to meet my mom and Mark, my stepdad! I hadn't seen them in about six months so it was great to see them. They got settled and we went out to dinner. We also had a belated Christmas celebration, and enjoyed a few of the local brews. :) The next day we had some down time, and in mid-afternoon met our group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Week in Review (updated with pix & video)

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort