Patagonia, Part 9: Back to Bariloche and onwards to Mendoza...or, I Live On a Long Distance Bus

When I left you, dear readers, I was holding on for dear life in the brutal Patagonian wind, looking for a place to spend the night. Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad. But it was pretty bad.

Anyway I got to the bus station in El Chalten after the bus out of town had already boarded and I had to ask the bus driver to find me the ticket seller so I could get on! Predictably, she was taking a break, but luckily it was a break with the bus driver. Anyhoo I got a ticket and had a couple hours to relax and thaw out on the way back to Calafate. It is kind of nice, when traveling, to get to a city that is even the slightest bit familiar. Apparently the downside of that is that I didn't take a single picture this time. Oops. Even though I only spent 2 nights in Calafate I knew the main street and was able to find my new hotel easily. Did you notice I said hotel? Not hostel? Well I decided it was time to splurge a little bit and I sure did enjoy the luxury of not only my own room but also my own bathroom. Ahhhh. Although I had to venture out and eat, I mostly reveled in having all this space to myself. And had them do my laundry. Fellow travelers know that can be a big deal. And actually, they had hostel rooms as well, but I can't speak to the quality of those.

After my night of rest and solitude, I took a good long run in the morning, and then I was back at the bus station for the 30-hour trip back up to Bariloche! And I pretty much did nothing there as it rained the whole. entire. time. I was there. But I met some really great people at the hostel I stayed at, and continued drinking great Patagonia beer, just like the first time I was there. But it was a good chance to just rest. Then I got on ANOTHER long bus ride (this one "only" 14 hours!) to head to Mendoza. This company was way better. We actually played a whole-bus bingo game. And there was wine with dinner. This is where a normal person would put the name of the bus line so someone else could use this information. But I can't remember it. =( Sorry, fellow nomads.


STAY (Calafate)
This time I stayed at a place called Albergue & Hostal del Glacier Libertador. It was a little confusing because it's two separate places about a block apart, and I didn't know which one I was booking when I booked online. I believe I stayed in the Albergue site.
PROS-the private room was nice, clean, and reasonably spacious. It was also a pretty good deal. The location is good too, you're just outside of the town area and it's an easy walk to the main street or bus station. Wifi was so-so, and better in the common room. Breakfast was also average, which is to say not that great, but I've had worse. They also book a lot of tours-but I didn't use them so can't evaluate them! They have a full kitchen for guests, which is nice with a regular hotel room. It was crowded and not stocked especially well, and you had to pay a deposit for silverware. But at least it was SOMETHING, to avoid going out for a meal.
CONS-I was happy with my stay here. The common areas aren't great, although they do have a little TV room. If I was staying longer than a night I probably would have gotten bored as it seemed it would be hard to meet people.

For my other recommendations about El Calafate, you can click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Week in Review (updated with pix & video)

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort