Next trip: Guatemala!

My next trip is being planned! (Those of you who know me well won't be too surprised that I'm actually planning 3 international trips, but we'll stick with the soonest one here!)

I applied to and was accepted, to the Denver Justice and Peace Committee's Guatemala Education Delegation. This is basically a trip for educators, to see what is happening in Guatemala's education system, since the indigenous population was guaranteed a right to education in 1996. We are going to go to different schools in rural and urban areas of Guatemala and talk to the teachers and students, as well as learn more about Guatemala's history and the struggle they have had in educating their population in the midst of major conflicts. So, I am super excited about this!

That part of the trip is 10 days, and after that I am taking about 3 more weeks to travel, volunteer, and take Spanish classes. Guatemala has some of my favorite things, like several other locales I have visited in the last few years....volcanoes, ruins and fascinating history (Mayan this time, instead of Incan), lakes and oceans, and people who speak Spanish. :) Actually most of the indigenous populations speak their own languages, but Spanish is the common language they use. I haven't figured out all the details of where I'll be living/volunteering after the delegation ends, but I am looking forward to the trip! I leave on June 14...just over 2 months from today!

P.S. Photo stolen from Denver Justice & Peace Committee website. Until I get to take my own!

Comments

Lindahl News 2 said…
My, do you get around! You can bet your aunt will be loving to check your blog for text and pictures!
____ said…
How exciting! Good luck with your trip in advance and we cannot wait to see your pics!

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Week in Review (updated with pix & video)

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort