Day Trip: Yaguaron

One of the things that has made this whole teaching and living abroad thing so great is the people I work with. I really feel like everyone goes out of their way to make the new teachers feel welcome and at home. Case in point, our "mentoring meetings," which could be really boring, are some of my favorite days. The official mentor people at the school make sure we get a chance to do something fun together, and get out of the city!

Our last mentoring meeting involved renting a van and driving to the nearby town of Yaguaron. The main reason we went there was that the mountain of Yaguaron is believed to be the birthplace of the 7 Mitos or myths. These myths were created to explain the unexplainable-like pregnancy out of wedlock and why you can never find your dang keys. For more info on the myths, read here. Let me tell you, those are some wild guys, especially Kurupi. Anyway it is also a nice place to hike around, see the view, and have a picnic lunch.
OK, fellow Coloradans, I know it's not much, but it's the highest elevation I've been here in Paraguay!
I loved all the palm trees on top.
Overlooking the town.
 Once we got to the top there was plenty of time to wander around and explore. I did some of that and some relaxing too. It was a *perfect* beautiful spring day and I was happy to be out of the city.






 But it turns out, this isn't even the main draw for Yaguaron. What it's really famous for is its church, which was built in the 1600's and took 60 years to construct.




Climbing up the bell tower was not allowed. Bummer.
It was a great, relaxing day. It only took an hour or two to get there, but it felt like the edge of civilization. I guess it is a popular place for people to buy land and build "ranchos" to enjoy the slow life. I crashed during the van ride home, which I think is a sign of a good trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort

Week in Review (updated with pix & video)