back to work...(now with pictures)



"Working is hard, that's why they call it work, and that's why they pay me to be here." That's what one of my coworkers always says, instead of complaining. She's right.

Tuesday was my first day back...a half day of school, and back to school night. Then, I had to keep on going back every single day! What a shock.

It's been pretty good, and totally exhausting. The beginning of the year always is, as you try to get to know the kids and build a good relationship, but not let them walk all over you, and get to know the parents, and which kids they go with, and whatever is going on with them.

Oh yeah, and then there's the fact that my classroom has had standing water in it the last two mornings I have come in to work. Apparently, the drainage from the roof comes down right outside my room (it is supposed to) but then it just sits there...seeps under the building...and up through my floor. Gross, huh? And then there's the mold factor. Our custodian has put in a work order to get the water to drain differently, but if that doesn't work, there's nothing they can do because it's a foundation problem. I really hope it works.

This time of year we can get very heavy thunderstorms, and that is where the water has been coming from...nothing like being woken up at 1 a.m. to a wild thunderstorm and thinking, "ugh, my classroom...."

Other than working in The Swamp (which is quite humid), the year is off to a pretty good start. I don't have cute pictures of my classroom to post (or even of the lake in my room), and can't post pics of kids, of course....which is too bad, because I have a cutie with a mohawk, and the rest of his head shaved in a spider-web pattern. Maybe I could take a pic of the back of his head?

Comments

Lindahl News 2 said…
Sorry about your wet classroom! And sorry you have to get back into that 9 month thing called work.

As for taking photos, I say YES to taking pictures of the backs of your kids' heads, or from the neck down...I do it all the time when I am in public places with no approval given by the pict-ees! Am I bad?

Please post pics of your classroom...I would love to see your home away from home.
Linnea said…
it it were my home, i would hire a plumber!

i will see if i can get some pics-classroom or back of head-for you to see!
John Blanco said…
So now, what happens if a kid slips and falls in it?

Ask them that. :-)
Linnea said…
Well, I will try to be the first to fall, so they fix it before a kid biffs. Our dean of students almost wiped out when he walked in last week...

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort

Week in Review (updated with pix & video)