Gone...

I know it is unusual for me to make two depressing posts in a row, but Deb, you were right-this has touched me to the core.


The cathedral (formation above) is gone. Since my last post I've learned that not 70%, but now 85%, of the buildings in Pisco are leveled.


The silver lining is that I've now heard from almost everyone I met in Peru, and they are fine. But I can't help but wonder, what about the young man who helped arrange my tour to the islands? The woman who served me dinner, the man who played his guitar to diners for tips, the guy who carried my heavy suitcase up 3 flights of stairs, and the others with whom I had casual encounters? Honestly, it is probably better not to know.


I am going to go down to the Peruvian embassy later this week with some donations, and hope to get some from coworkers as well.


Thanks to mom and a couple friends for making donations to this cause, as well.


Now, I guess it is time to look forward...tomorrow is our first day of school, which is always full of promise, hope, and energy...I can use a little of that!

Comments

Lindahl News 2 said…
It's haunting to know you were just there and making connections to this land and its peoples and now they are ?????

I do hope that you will get the energy you need for teaching tomorrow and that the kids will renew your sense of enthusiasm, hope, laughter and especially promise. I'll be thinking of you...
John Blanco said…
This is a sad video:

The Cathedral is Gone

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Ampat Part 4: Fam Islands

Raja Ampat Part 2: The Resort

Raja Ampat part 3: SNORKELING!